The Planet Test is a test of the representation of the environment and nature on screen. A television programme or film would only pass the Planet Test if it answered positively to the following questions.
On the general level:
- Does the programme or film acknowledge that the natural world exists?
At the character level:
- Negative environmental behaviours are presented as negative character traits.
At the action level:
- Does a character do at least one thing during the film to make the world a better place?
- Does the programme help the audience to better understand the world around them and environmental issues?
- Does the programme show positive actions that support the UN goals ?
- How could the production involve viewers outside the programme?